Monday, July 26, 2010
Thursday, July 15, 2010
With only the grasshoppers to keep us company, the day began at a homeowner property participating in Miami-Dade Extension’s Water Use Efficiency Program. This installation was a complete irrigation retrofit that encompassed the backflow prevention device, the mechanical timer, and the indexing valve.
The second installation was supposed to involve reviving a commercial property research site on well-water that went offline in early 2009. However, when we arrived at the location we learned that the sensor system on a nearby municipal water research site had burned out. This burned sensor had been providing solid water-use data since the summer of 2007. For the remainder of the day, we focused on installing a new sensor on the municipal water site - adding a few equipment flourishes previously overlooked: grease caps to protect wire connections from the elements and a junction box for easy future sensor retrieval or maintenance.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Saturday, July 10, 2010
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Monday, July 5, 2010
The day began with a rain-accompanied top-to-bottom irrigation system retrofit. Keeping only the existing backflow device, we installed the soil water sensor system, electric valves and two water meters. These total retrofits serve not only as an incentive for the homeowner to participate in the study, but also afford me a level of certainty that all zones are running during an irrigation event – something the mechanical indexing valve cannot guarantee.
The day concluded at a property with a pre-existing digital timer and electric zone valve irrigation system. We connected the soil water sensor add-on device to the timer and installed a water meter on each experimental zone.
These properties are now two more stops during my reading days – when I collect data in the field to verify soil water sensors’ water savings potential in urban landscape irrigation.
Friday, July 2, 2010